Important Notice (COVID-19)
Toggle dismiss alert

State Government directions to protect the health and wellbeing of South Australians will impact some Council facilities and services.

Information about Council Services and Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Dismiss alert

Generally, any person or contractor (other than a Council or a person acting under a statutory authority) is unable to make an alteration to a public road, verge or footpath unless authorised to do so by the Council.

An “alteration” could include:

  • The creation of a new access point from an adjacent property;
  • The installation of, or changes to an existing, structure including a pipe, wire, cable, fixture, fitting or other objects in, on, across or under the road, verge or footpath;
  • Changing the material or construction arrangements of a road, verge or footpath;
  • Planting of a tree or other vegetation on to the road, verge or footpath and / or interference or removal of existing vegetation from the road, verge or footpath.

If a person or contractor wishes to undertake any of the above, then they must apply for a Section 221 Permit which will provide permission for the alteration to the road, verge or footpath to be made.

The application form can be found here.

The Alterations to Public Roads, Verges and Footpaths Policy can be found here.

The form needs to be accompanied by the necessary information which can include the following:

  • Consent letter from landowner;
  • Public Liability Insurance, of not less than $20m;
  • Worksafe SA Registration
  • Plans / Specifications for the Works
  • Work Method
  • Job Safety Environmental Analysis
  • Traffic Management Plan

An application fee is also applicable.

Once an application is received, an engineering assessment is undertaken. Depending on the outcome of that assessment, the application is either refused or if recommended for approval, the alternation is entered into Council’s register and then a permit is issued. The Council keeps records of each application and the outcome and a dispute resolution process is available.

The Section 221 process helps to ensure a consistent and safe approach to the public realm is adopted. The Council thanks all those persons undertaking development, construction and beautification work in our community for their adherence to this process.

Further information can be obtained by phoning Council or (08) 8539 1100 or emailing