Valuation Information

The State Valuation Office is responsible for making property valuations.

Councils can adopt one of three valuation methodologies to value the properties in their areas:

  • Capital Value - the value of the land and all the improvements on the land.
  • Site Value - the value of the land and any improvements which permanently affect the amenity of use of the land, such as drainage works, but excluding the value of buildings and other improvements.
  • Annual Value - a valuation of the rental potential of the property.

The Rural City of Murray Bridge uses Capital Value as the basis for valuing land within the Council area. The Council considers that this method of valuing land provides the fairest method of distributing the rate burden across all rate payers because property value is considered a reasonable indicator of income and capital value, which closely approximates the market value of a property and provides the best indicator of overall property value.

A Council can employ or engage a valuer to value the land in the area or it may use the valuations provided by the Valuer General, or it may use a combination of both subject to certain restrictions.
The Valuer General is a statutory office appointed by the Governor.
The Rural City of Murray Bridge has adopted the most recent valuations made by the Valuer General.
If a ratepayer is dissatisfied with the valuation made by the Valuer General then the ratepayer may object to the Valuer General, in writing, within 60 days of receiving the notice of the valuation, explaining the basis for the objection, provided they have not:
  • previously received a notice of this valuation under the Local Government Act, in which case the objection period is 60 from the receipt of the first notice; or
  • previously had an objection to the valuation considered by the Valuer General.
Certain Properties may be eligible for a 'notional value', where the property is the principle place of residence of a ratepayer, under the Valuation of Land Act 1971. This relates to some primary production land or where there is State Heritage recognition.
Any owner who believes they are entitled to a notional value must apply in writing to the State Valuation Office.

Council's Senior Finance Officer Rates can answer any other questions related to Council's use of the property valuation but Council plays no role in the process of considering an objection to a valuation.


State Valuation Office
101 Grenfell Street (GPO Box 1354)

Phone:           1300 653 346
Facsimilie:      08 8226 1428