In 1906 an orgainising committee and building fund was established in Murray Bridge, with the goal of erecting a hall for entertainment and an institute with the provision for Council office space. A design by Adelaide-based architects AS & FH Conrad, largely associated with designing ecclesiastical and scholastic institutions throughout the State was eventually selected and tenders called. In October 1910 the first foundation stone was laid by the Hon. John Cowan. The hall was opened by the Governor, Sir Day Hart Bosenquet on 3 May 1911. The builder was Mr GE Lane of Murray Bridge.
The original building was constructed of local limestone and housed the library and public reading room, the Mobilong District Council offices and Council Chamber and a large hall with a prescenium and stage. The stage was designed with "sufficient height being afforded for flies and grid iron over, the floor sloped and filled with traps for theatrical requirements". The building was described at the time as being "architecturally a commanding feature centralising the commercial life of the town".
The original building was extended in similar architectural style and materials in 1929, with a two storey extension to the east along Bridge Street, to accommodate additional municipal offices. It was enlarged again in the 1970's when a lean-to abutting the external stage wall was demolished to make way for a two storey, cream brick extension to accommodate banquet and dressing rooms. In 2004/2005 this extension was upgraded to become the Murray Bridge Regional Art Gallery. This included an upgrade of the back section of the hall which was commonly knows as the "Pig Pen" and is now the Vicki Nottage Sculpture Court.
2010 saw the re-opening of the Town Hall after a $4 million upgrade to become a fully equipped performing and visual arts centre designed by Grieve Gillett.
08 8539 1430